Browsing Pinterest and came across this. Isn't this a perfectly cool idea? An idea I'll probably not use because I have a perfectly good set of silverware. and actually half of the set is still in a box in the closet to save for when this half goes bad and we want something new.We've been planning on getting rid of most of our stuff - in theory. We're not taking much with us, so get rid of it, is what we were thinking. But then I started looking at everything and putting it into a category: Yard Sale, Store, Take. And more kept going in that Store category. I thought things like, "It won't hurt to keep this." & "Maybe we'll just keep one rubbermaid of kitchen stuff." & "Mom and Dad will have plenty of space to store whatever we want." & "This was a wedding gift from _______. I'd hate to get rid of it."
But these spoons made me stop and think. Why store it? Why hold on to it? God's asked you to follow Him and take these steps and you don't need to plan for anything else. Just whole-heartedly putting yourself into the path He's shown you. And the path He's shown me is not a "try this church-planting thing out and if it doesn't work out you'll still have some of your stuff" type of plan. I really feel like I need to give up my silverware and the silverware in the box in the closet. And probably all those extra towels I've been saving, and the blankets and the books and... (but what about our papasan? probably that too.)
And the sweet thing is that if ever we do find ourselves in need of some silverware (or curtains or furniture or lamps...), we can probably find some really cheap at a thrift store and paint them to look super cool. I've loved creating a comfortable little home the two times I've done it now, and I look forward the many living situations we may have in the future. I've got tons of ideas and I'm excited about the chance to use some of them.
Feeling freed to enjoy more variety that this life has to offer and stripped a little bit of the security of my things. And so thankful for the way He's provided for us here. We've hardly bought anything in our home - they've been gifts from precious friends and family or second-hand from aunts and uncles and parents. We've undoubtedly been taken care of very well.
No comments:
Post a Comment