The American Dream

The speaker at church on Sunday basically preached a message on the American dream. He started in Nehemiah, but hardly touched the amazing story and message this great book tells us. He talked a lot about generations and was kind of political and constantly repeated the phrase, "A new foundation for a new generation." Did I mention that he was the president of a Christian college? He may have had an agenda. Anyway, when he started talking about the American dream and I looked around and saw people all around me nodding in agreement, I got upset. Does God really want us to live the American dream? I know he doesn't want it to be our first priority.

I'm glad this message, albeit slanted, was given. It reiterated a commitment I made in 2005, my freshman year at IWU. This was from a blog entry on 2/9/05...

The American Dream or the Kingdom of God?
Today I stopped dreaming! Serving is not an option, but I'm choosing to live a life about Jesus.

"For Christ's love compels us, because we are convinced that one died for all, and therefore all died. And he died for all, that those who live should no longer live for themselves but for him who died for them and was raised again." - 2 Corinthians 5:14-15

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot


That day I remember surrendering my dreams of having a family, of a cute little home, of a "successful" career. I recognized that I had gone to IWU to prepare for the mission field, but found myself more concerned about finding a husband to join me on the mission field, and I gave that up to God. The story of God's call on my life and my answer is one that I cherish - a power struggle, pursuit, surrender, and blessing. One of the most precious blessings is a husband that shares my call to the nations, and holds unswervingly to his deep Kingdom dream convictions.

I am thankful.

By the way,
this is kind of our American dream. But we're going somewhere else.

1 comment:

Shana said...

Gah. I hate sermons like that. Glad you took it more gracefully than I would have!