White-watering the Nile...

terrifying, exhilarating, awe-inspiring, entirely intense.

On the 21st Emily and I got the chance to go rafting with some friends we've made here. The Nile is considered a class V river, and to be honest, I think I'm done with anything that high of a grade. We were thrown into the water almost every rapid. I'm happy I went, but don't plan on doing such a thing again. Everyone was kept safe from any injuries and had fun...it was a great day.

By the end of the trip I was so ready to be done. We had tipped one time too many for me. The last rapid I did was was wholly horrifying,..being tossed, getting caught by the current and unable to swim for the raft. I just rode the water too long and was no longer feeling the rush, but panic. There was a long calm before the final rapid where I practically made myself sick thinking about the white water ahead, called "the Bad Place." I could hear the water from pretty far off. I was praying, thanking God for safety and asking not so much for protection, but that God would create in us a deep sense of His control and that He would use this to grow our dependence on Him.

Enoch, our guide, informed us that we would get out before hitting the final rapid and we could decide whether or not we'd go it or take out. When I saw this rapid, I honestly trembled with fear...it was three times as long and big as any we had already encountered that day. As I watched the water rushing by with such power and beauty, I felt completely helpless. I had the feeling of fear and awe that I imagine should begin to touch the meaning of fear when the Word mentions the "fear of the Lord." It was awesome. That was enough for me, I decided. Although I opted out of getting wet again, God definitely opened my heart to more of His character.

Father, if we are to be reckless, make us recklessly dependent on you. Teach us to live lives of reckless abandon for you. Rather than adrenalin, may we be driven by deep-rooted passion and may we only be stopped by an awe of the All-Powerful You.

5 comments:

Herschel said...

man heather, that sounds awesome. i wish i could have been there!

Anonymous said...

:) I'm pretty adventurous, but you definitely have me beat on this one. haha. Miss and love ya!

Anonymous said...

When you called to tell us you were back from this trip - I could tell from your tone of voice you weren't telling me all of the story! You really wore out your guardian angels with this one girl! All I can say is, "Thank you Jesus!"

Anonymous said...

So mighty and powerful is our God and we think He can't handle our silly problems!! Love ya and enjoy your posts! Aunt Sue

JA said...

So glad to have found your blog. You are a great writer - keep it up!
God is opening your eyes in such wonderful ways. Drink it all in and continue to write about it.
Bless you in your adventures
Jo Ann