I reckon I oughta post something. I'm not the type to spit out a quick post though, so I hesitate to start one. I should be doing some homework. And man, there's so much going on, I don't know what to write about. I think I'll try to start doing this again though - it stirs some reflection that I've not been doing. Writing out stuff is a good thing. Helps me get things straight. Alrighty...
Today's update: the college major.
I've switched mine again. That's right, again. I started in Graphic Design, dropped that, and made a smooth transition into IWU's "Pre-declared" category. Hung out there for a while until I admitted my passion for language, transferred schools, and became an English major going after a teacher's certificate. Now, I call myself a Sociology major.
This college major stuff has been quite a journey, one that I've worried too much over in retrospect. The current idea is pretty exciting to me. What I really want to do is teach English overseas - not the literature arts baloney, but English as a second language. You do not need a degree to do this - you could just go overseas and basically begin to do this tomorrow if you had the means. That's so tempting right now. Of course, I don't really have the means, but if I did, I would be tempted to just quit this stuff and go. But, I'm sort of loving this place that I'm in right now - college - and I'd like to stick around and learn all I can from this experience.
So I'm doing a sort of broad, liberal arts type focus. I guess they say this Sociology degree prepares you for no field, and I'm fine with that, I know what I want my field to be. I'm hoping these Soc. classes will just expose me to different cultures and people and make me think - really think. I'm excited. I'm also pretty excited about not being expected to read novels and poetry that makes me want to scream. I'll probably be reading something else that will make me want to scream, of course, but we'll see. College is about so much more than classes.
Ok, so there's more to this plan. It's sort of a variable that I'm not too sure about right now. I applied to take classes at Indiana State University. They have an ESL program that can be completed in only 4 classes. So the idea, if I get accepted and it fits somewhat into my schedule and my budget, is to take a class at a time towards an TESL certificate. If all works out, I could have a degree in Sociology and a TESL certificate in just a few more semesters.
So...that's the educational road I'm on right now. Well, once I get past the classes that I'm in this semester. I'm trying hard to get motivated and do my best in them - they sort of seem like a waste now. Life's full of so much. I've got my hand in so many different places. It's quite stretching though and I'm continually being blessed. I know that none of this is certainty, and I'm avoiding those stinkin boxen that I've kept putting my life and God in. Just trying to live day by day with God on the throne of my heart, and see what he can use me to do where I go. It's exciting. Yeah, my life has excitement.
5 comments:
i was pretty certain that EIU had a TESL program? do they not?
finally! a post! :)
you're right, college is about way more than the classes. but love the classes, you'll regret if you don't.
see you soon!
Heather, I'm with you on the changing majors game. Been there, done that. And considering it again. Im done with my current degree in a year so the idea of changing again and possibly adding 2 more semesters to my college career seems daunting...especially since I want to go to grad school..We'll see.
I wish I had you guys' spirit about college. Right now I am just ready to get it over with. Not really enjoying much about it. Hopefully that will change.
Good luck with your ESL stuff Heather, it sounds exciting!
So i just got done pouring my heart out about changing majors, my college life, etc etc. But alas...it never showed. Unless you have to approve comments in which you will and I'll look like an idiot..anywho..
Good luck with the ESL, it sounds exciting!
i miss you!
are you coming to the Field soon?
love
erin
Post a Comment